Friday, December 14, 2012

When you can't find the words

A terrible tragedy took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School today.  It was hard to understand why things like this happen.

A friend of mine posted this quote from Mr. Roger's on her facebook page, and I thought it was a way to put things into perspective:


"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." -- Fred


I hope I can remember these words one day when my kids are old enough to understand and ask me, "Why?".  There are a lot of terrible things that happen in our world, but I really do believe that the majority of people out there are good people.  

1 comment:

  1. Sara, Thank you for sharing this. I love the positive spin on this tragedy and am brokenhearted to see and hear all the "what is wrong with people? What is the world coming to?" talk. I am hesitant to say anything at all because our world is good and full of helpers if we choose to look at it that way. Sometimes the news pours emotion into our hearts that makes us forget there is still good. Mr. Rodger's mom is a smart lady!

    ReplyDelete