Sunday, January 13, 2013

"Watch this Mama Fly!"

Well, despite some snow, ice, and very cold weather, training went really well this week.  I got in two rounds of weight training and all three of my runs.  Now I am into Week 5, and I am feeling good.  I feel like my running base is building at just the right pace.  My hips aren't bothering me too much, and my heels seem to be doing pretty good, too.  My speed is building as well.  I am not fast by any means, but I am starting to be able to do a 10 min. 30 sec. mile without too much strain.  Otherwise, I am at about a 11 min. 30 sec. mile when I am just casually running.  Ryan said that I just need to start visualizing myself as a fast runner.  I think he is right.  

I have often put myself into boxes (and maybe not the boxes that I really want to be in), but I have slowly started learning that the power of thought is an amazing thing.  I have recently been working on telling myself various things to help me see myself in a different light.  For example, at work I tell myself, "You are an amazing teacher, who cares deeply about her students and is able to change their lives in positive ways."  Before I speak to my boss I tell myself, "You are a smart and professional educator.  Your ideas are well thought out and valid.  Your boss will appreciate your ideas."    One may call them mantras, but I do not repeat the same phrase each time so I don't see them as mantras.  They are just words that I use to help me begin seeing myself the way that I want others to see me.   

Now when it comes to running I actually do have two mantras that I repeat when a run gets tough.  My first one is, "You are a strong Mama!"  This one has motivated me since day one.  I figure if I can be a Mom each and everyday of my life, I can probably run one more mile even when I'm tired.  My second mantra is, "If the mind believes it, the body can achieve it."  When I am racing, this one often becomes, "Mind believe, body achieve."  This mantra has helped me set a few PR's.  Now I guess I need to come up with one to help me see myself as a fast runner.  Maybe something like, "Watch this Mama fly!"

With all that being said, let's look at what lies ahead for this week of training (and speed building).

Week 5 of Half Marathon Training
Monday, 1/14/13 - Weight Training
Tuesday, 1/15/13 - 4 miles - Easy
Wednesday, 1/9/13 - 2 - 3 miles - Easy - end with strides
Thursday, 1/10/13 - Interval Run (total of 3 miles)
Friday, 1/11/13 - Weight Training
Saturday, 1/12/13 - Rest
Sunday, 1/13/13 - Long Run (total of 7 miles)

It's supposed to be cold all of this week, but sunny.  It should be a great week for running.  

7 comments:

  1. I talk to myself like that too. Especially when I hear myself say "I'm so tired", I replace it with "I have so much energy!"

    Run, Mama, run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replacing "I'm so tired", with "I have so much energy!" is genius! I think that'll have to go into my bag of mental self-talk tricks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone please explain to me when I can run so far and so long? Do you have a sitter? Is Ryan home (isn't it dark out??)? Do you push the jogging stroller?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone can run this long and far. You just have to start small, and you'll build a running base. Ryan is home while I run. I do most of my runs really, really early (around 5am). It is dark out, but I just have a head lamp and reflective vest. I haven't pushed the jogging stroller on a run since the twins were 1 yr. old. They are too dang heavy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh...That's what I thought you were going to say. 5 am. I did a half right before I got pregnant with B, and I've had trouble building back up. I know I CAN, it's just finding the time. Once it's summer and lighter out I think I can go in the evening b/c it stays light so late. I must admit it creeps me out to run in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your on fire Sara with amazing and insightful posts. I really enjoyed the part of your post about "putting yourself into boxes". I think we all do that more often than we think and it is very difficult to push ourself outside of those boxes. I know its something that I struggle with sometimes.

    Now figure out what your "speed mantra" is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please remind me to show you how to turn of the image verification on your blog. It really slows down commenting and you will probably get more comments if you turn it off.

    ReplyDelete